Friday, April 8, 2011

embrace the inner turtle

*Originally written on October 17th, 2010*

Today I went for a run outside, I had just eaten & decided to take it easy this time for at least a bit (till I digested some lol), but God used it as my lesson this time.

These past few weeks, maybe even months, He's been really pushing me to relax lately, He reminded me of the 23rd Psalms first 3 verses last weekend, & they come back to mind today:

1The LORD is my shepherd;
         I shall not want.
 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
         He leads me beside the still waters.
 3 He restores my soul;
         He leads me in the paths of righteousness
         For His name’s sake.

the part I just noticed is the makes me part...He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.   Sometimes, God will make you to rest, rest in Him, when you need it & won't stop. He will lead you to rest beside His heavenly life giving waters.  This is one of my true weaknesses, I never stop. Mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually. I always am striving toward something. So this run, that's what I did, I just did a pleasant speed run & enjoyed nature, didn't expect some divine message, didn't try to break my speed records or push all I could out of myself, I just enjoyed it! The squirrels, the birds, sounds, colors of the leaves beginning to change.  The divine & active artwork created by the trees' shadows dancing across the road.  It brought back a song from a Disney movie (doesn't everything-if you're a girl at least).

Pocahontas "Colors of the Wind"

"You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name...
...Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon
Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned?
Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest
Come taste the sun-sweet berries of the Earth
Come roll in all the riches all around you
And for once, never wonder what they're worth"

This came to life to me as I ran today, a verse that comes to mind is Luke 19:37-40

'37 Then, as He was now drawing near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen, 38 saying: 
      “‘Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the LORD!’[d]
      Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”
39 And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.”
40 But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”'

While nature may not have a soul, they may not have a spirit like ours, they may not have the Holy Spirit within them, there is still enough of a spirit, or knowledge & God-awareness that they knew Christ, & who He really is. Sometimes I think even more so than we do!   There is a song, a hymn, my mother has sung to me that I love that really expresses this, better than I am.  For some reason, I really see, feel, & experience God in nature & its silent praises to the LORD but if I don't slow down to enjoy it, hear it, & hear Him IN it, I will miss the experience, the relationship, & the way He expresses His love for me & all the world...I will miss out on so much of what really adds a rich quality to life.

This is my Father's World
This is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears
all nature sings, and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
his hand the wonders wrought.
2. This is my Father's world,
the birds their carols raise,
the morning light, the lily white,
declare their maker's praise.
This is my Father's world:
he shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
he speaks to me everywhere.
3. This is my Father's world.
O let me ne'er forget
that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King; let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let the earth be glad!

No comments:

Post a Comment