Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Power of His Perfection

On my way to work one morning, while gazing upon the Lord's painted morning sky for me, I heard a verse of a song I've heard many times before but in a different light. One I don't know that I agree with...

"perfection is my enemy"

Now I don't know what song it was, just some chick's on the Fish radio station really (probably better I don't know) but it made me begin to think, why does humanity have to have such a love/hate relationship to the idea and concept of  'perfection'?

"[ Noah Pleases God ] This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God." Genesis 6:9 NKJV

"As for God, His way is perfect;The word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. For who is God, except the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God? God is my strength and power,[e] And He makes my[f] way perfect." 2 Samuel 22:31-33 NKJV

" I will behave wisely in a perfect way. Oh, when will You come to me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart." Psalm 101:2 NKJV

"Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48 NKJV
 
"Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." 2 Corinthians 7:1 NKJV

"Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. " Colossians 1:28 NKJV

"Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this we will[a] do if God permits." Hebrew 6:1-3 NKJV

" But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:4 NKJV

" But may[a] the God of all grace, who called us[b] to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you." 1 Peter 5:10 NKJV

If we are to have the mind of Christ, be the light of Christ, and Christ-like then how can we say that perfection is our enemy when He is perfection.

"though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. 9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him" Hebrews 5:8-9 NKJV

Why can't we have an unobtainable goal and not such negativism towards it. What's wrong with reaching for the stars?

Being someone who has issues with perfectionism, I think what we need is balance.  We tend to either obsess over or avoid perfection altogether.  

Strive always try to be perfect with the realization that you are never going to be able to reach it.  Focus on Christ's perfection and His perfect work for us as our example. That is the key.

As long as we keep our focus on Him and His perfection, and realize that He lives within us, within our hearts, perfection isn't such a scary thought.  It is only when we take our focus off of Him who is perfect and start to look toward our own ability to be perfect (or failed attempts to be honestly) that we begin to breed such disapproval for the concept.  Because it is through our attempts to be perfect we realize our failures and shortcomings. We no longer can lie to ourselves or others.  

Christ's perfection is not our enemy, its what keeps us going in this life...all we do and are is based around this. We are called to love perfectly, without fear. Live perfectly, without sin (through the cleansing blood of Christ and God's amazing grace).  This is not a bad calling, and it isn't an impossible calling, for God has not given us anything we cannot accomplish...through Him!

I'm amazed and proud to say I've finally gotten to a place in my life where I've made peace with perfection. It does not control me or my life, yet I strive toward the goal, keeping my Focus upon Him who is my perfect example.

No comments:

Post a Comment